Thread: Headaches

1. Default Headaches

Hi there

I was wondering how the gradual entrainment process that occurs with some binaural beats audio products compares to the programmes on the Procyon. Many binaural beats programmes come in levels or in multiple parts, with the user often required to stick to the first part for a certain number of listens before progressing onto the more advanced programmes/sessions. If one tries to fast track it, it may often result in a headache on the more advanced sessions, as the brain hasn't quote gotten used to it yet. I have found this myself.

When it comes to the Procyon, I have no experienced any such phenomenon, even when diving straight into 60 minute sessions. I guess some of it may be down to brightness levels etc, but there is still the binaural audio input. Any thoughts as to why one does not experience such acclimatisation phenomena with the Procyon please?

Another quick question, I have heard it said that volume is not important with binaural beats audio, as the same amount of entrainment occurs at all volume levels (assuming it can be heard). Is this the case for the Procyon also?

Many thanks

Health-Spy.com

Default Re: Headaches

Hi,

I assume you're referring to programs such as Holosync.

As I understand it, these programs are aiming to get you down to very low delta levels on very low carrier frequencies. This is their idea of a good thing to do, and many users report great results. I believe a huge part of the success' of these programs is the discipline in using them regularly and according to their structured system.

That said, there is nothing intrinsically superior about getting to low delta with low carrier frequencies.

The Procyon is a very flexible tool and could reproduce the essence of these programs. What constitutes 'fast tracking' all depends what you want from entrainment. If your goal is to become 'an experienced meditator' then, whatever tools you do or don't use, it will require discipline. If you simply want to use your mind more effectively, or to deal with any of the multitude of disorders that entrainment has been shown to be helpful with, then just using appropriate sessions as required or desired is just fine.

Headaches, sore eyes, sleep problems, etc are not uncommon with any form of entrainment at the beginning - there's a bunch of things you havve to get used to - light levels, audio levels, increased bloodflow in parts of the brain that maybe haven't had much use lately and so on. I haven't really found any problems that don't clear up soon after ending the session, and usually the same session is just fine at another time.

As for sound levels, in principle it is true that you only need to be able to hear the tones for them to be effective. Personal taste and individual tendency to wander 'off task' are considerations. For myself, I like my entrainment good and solid - in fact my favourite sessions are simple pulses, played loud.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

Default Re: Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by Health-Spy View Post
    Hi there

I was wondering how the gradual entrainment process that occurs with some binaural beats audio products compares to the programmes on the Procyon. Many binaural beats programmes come in levels or in multiple parts, with the user often required to stick to the first part for a certain number of listens before progressing onto the more advanced programmes/sessions. If one tries to fast track it, it may often result in a headache on the more advanced sessions, as the brain hasn't quote gotten used to it yet. I have found this myself.
    With the Procyon, you also get the binaural frequencies via the light frames as well as through the headphones.

Since the binaural beat happens inside of your head, you probably won't consciously notice the effect as it happens. You may hear the different frequencies from the headphones but that's about it.

Gradual entrainment happens as a result of your brainwaves getting use to certain frequencies being asked to come to the forefront (become dominant) in your brain. These frequencies already exist in your brain, they just may not be in a dominant position when needed. Over a period of time, it gets easier for your brain to "call" that frequency into a dominant position and it gets easier for your brainwaves to remain there.

When it comes to the Procyon, I have no experienced any such phenomenon, even when diving straight into 60 minute sessions. I guess some of it may be down to brightness levels etc, but there is still the binaural audio input. Any thoughts as to why one does not experience such acclimatisation phenomena with the Procyon please?
    I'm not really sure what you are trying to notice and which program you are using. Not all the Procyon programs are programmed to use binaural beats - so you may want to go into the program and make adjustments for a binaural effect. From what I can tell, most of the Procyon programs have a BB in the Theta/Delta range. I don't think you will notice the effect of this because there are other things going on in the program that likely capture your attention more.

Another quick question, I have heard it said that volume is not important with binaural beats audio, as the same amount of entrainment occurs at all volume levels (assuming it can be heard). Is this the case for the Procyon also?
    It's true, you don't need to be able to hear a binaural beat in order for it to work. It's not the sound that makes the binaural beat, it's the frequency and the frequency that the binaural beat becomes is far below your hearing range. What you are hearing is the carrier wave - which is the sound that carries the frequency. I hope that makes sense?
    Last edited by Andy; 04-16-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

4. Default Re: Headaches

Thanks for all the responses. I am not sure it fully answers the question, but I am not sure that is strictly necessary. It was certainly interesting and educational. Thanks again.

Thread Information