Thread: Initial take on Procyon--what's helping so far...

Default Initial take on Procyon--what's helping so far...

Greetings forum,

I've been busy with school now but am taking time to learn the various programs that the Procyon has to offer.

When I first got the unit, I tried mainly the night-based programs and the tranquility programs. I loved the peaceful feeling that I got--especially when I coupled it with nice music. In an over zealous sort of way, I went to bed the first night with a long night program, but found myself strangely unable to complete the session because I ended up in a zone where I was between dreaming and waking and the changes in the sequence started to yank me around. I have since gotten used to the effects.

When the slower washes of color would come--in particular the red/yellows that seemed to mimic the color temperature of being outdoors on a bright but cool day with my eyes closed--I felt a sense of great expanse, like I was a part of a large universe, and my mind's eye could see from end to end yet I achieved the feeling that the universe was huge.

This state is likely the favorite of mine. With my ADHD, I get a lot of distractions and stimuli and, coupled with the inner dialogs that are frequently happening at the same time, I get a real sense of peace, space, and safety.

Normally, I would tend to be anxious when I encounter large expanses--especially if I was alone--but I felt not only connected to the world, but also had a great sense of calmness and a majority of my anxiety fell away. Maybe some of my anxiety comes from all of the external stimuli.

The "energizing" programs don't seem to have a profound effect on my energy level, but I've noticed that I've been very calm and level headed when I've been dealt with daily curveballs/fires here at the university.

I am looking forward to learning the various programs. I'd like to try some ganzfeld color effects without the flickering but am having a hard time getting the colors right, with consideration of the eyelid filter. I'd love to see some deep purples.

One of my therapies involved EMDR use, and a "safe place/protector" visualization that I used was picturing myself being enveloped in a "loving rainbow." If I feel particularly vulnerable and anxious, I would picture that as a nuturing environment. So, when the Procyon comes along and is able to provide some of the effects in a real and tangible way, its uses are more than entertainment (although the entertainment value is there).

So far, that's the best way I can describe how the Procyon is helping. As I learn more and create additional programs, I hope to gain more insights into what colors/textures/visualizations, etc., prompt the desired responses for my "system."

Thanks again, MindPlace

--Scott

Blog Entries

Default Re: Initial take on Procyon--what's helping so far...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to post your observations and experiences. It's very interesting to read. I just wanted to mention one thing in regards to one of your observations. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by electronguy View Post
    Greetings forum,

The "energizing" programs don't seem to have a profound effect on my energy level, but I've noticed that I've been very calm and level headed when I've been dealt with daily curve balls/fires here at the university.
    It likely works this way with you because of the ADHD. Stimulation (Beta) tends to calm people with ADD or ADHD.

Once again, thanks for sharing with us Scott. I know that there are many others out there who will benefit from your observations and learnings.

Thread Information