Thread: Kasina external lights?

1. Default Kasina external lights?

hi. Aware that there is an old thread regarding attempts to control external lights with the Procyon, I'd like to ask .. unless there is an existing thread .. how to trigger external LED lighting from the Kasina? Is it even possible? I have communicated with a lighting expert and this is his response below. I supplied the Kasina Ganzframes and Kasina DV Ganzframes, there are 3 connections and 1 common on the TRRS connector ... info and also a wiring schmatic that I found on this forum.

Is he correct about the output signal etc???

" Having had a look at the Kasina online, it seems to output 5vdc? but I couldn?t see anything in writing to confirm this.
    Without taking one apart, I can?t be 100% sure, but I think you need is a 5v analogue ? digital multiplexer.

This isn?t something that we have stocked in 20 or so years, so it wouldn?t be us that s
    upplied it, but it looks like ultra light and sound still supply a manufactured pcb for this.
    You would have to speak to them about this, as I don?t have any knowledge of the product or its capability.
    I have just been chatting with one of my colleagues and we think that trying to drive anything other than a Ganzyframe without a multiplexer would damage the Kasina!? "

24 and 48 channel DMX multiplexer analog to dmx (ultralightsound.co.uk)
    https://ultralightsound.co.uk/produc...dmx-convertor/

- Has anybody any tech info to help me figure out how to trigger an external LED array/panels/lights from the Kasina? Thank you.
    Last edited by Andy; 04-06-2024 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Add Link to Procyon thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kasina external lights?

Everything that anyone building an LED driver panel needs to know should already be in that thread.
    The additional information you might need regarding the Kasina is that to make it work for the Kasina, you merely have to double the number of drivers (from 3 to 6), and reverse their input polarity on 1/2 of them. The Kasina and Procyon's drive signals are the same, except that the Kasina switches polarity several times a second. One polarity drives the left 3 colours, the other polarity drives the right 3 colours.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Kasina external lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Everything that anyone building an LED driver panel needs to know should already be in that thread.
    The additional information you might need regarding the Kasina is that to make it work for the Kasina, you merely have to double the number of drivers (from 3 to 6), and reverse their input polarity on 1/2 of them. The Kasina and Procyon's drive signals are the same, except that the Kasina switches polarity several times a second. One polarity drives the left 3 colours, the other polarity drives the right 3 colours.
    TY for attending to this thread.
    What is the voltage output of the Kasina?
    In addition, the lighting electrian had concern that there might be damage to the unit - I do not comprehend why that would be?
    Do you and does anyone think that the circuit board he identified would work for converting the output to DMA?

Blog Entries

LEDs are driven by current, not voltage. You'll need someone much more knowledgable than any of us on how to convert the signals to a digital protocol like DMX. 0-10v converters are not the solution.

My suggestion would be to build the device as shown in the other thread, or you could contact someone like cymaticsomatics and see if they have a way to convert SS signals directly to DMX (instead of using the LED signals)
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: Kasina external lights?

I have immediately contacted them as they appear both active today and very much engaged in the field I am wishing to explore. Hope so.
    Excellent tip, TY .

I was just discussing this with the engineer... the Kasina LED drive voltage is 4.2 volts. The signals alternate left/right at about 344 hz, the audio sample rate divided by 128 (as I recall). This allows four wires to deliver six independent color channels--that is, each one can have its own brightness and frequency, if you choose.

7. Default Re: Kasina external lights?

Hi. I appreciate both of your replies - taking the time to investigate. It's both useful and interesting information.

Thread Information