Thread: The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

1. Default The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

Hello,

ich have to convert all my Procyon programs from RGB into RG cause i want to use it also with a 2 channel white-led goggle.
    I wrote a python program which is doing this job but i have a problem with the soundmodulation-part. The position #107 (#220,#333, ...) contains the value for the soundmodulation. When i write the value #68 into #107 it provides in the 1st segment what i want (red-red-0-0) but in the 2nd segment (position #220) the combination red-blue-0-0. Same value, different results

Thank you for answering,
    Sven

2015-06-29 11_44_16-Free Hex Editor Neo.png

redred_00.png

redblue_00.png

Blog Entries

Default Re: The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

There are 2 bytes whose bits encode values. Format is little endian. The mapping is as follows:

///HSB
    LoopBit - 1024 //Whether segment starts a loop - 1 bit. HSB Bit 1
    Modulation Right Color - 512 - 256 //2 bits. HSB Bit 0. Map below.

///LSB
    Modulation Right Sync - 128 //1 bit. LSB Bit 7. Map below
    Modulation Right Active - 64 //Whether modulation is active for the channel. 1 bit. LSB Bit 6.
    Modulation Left Color - 32 -16 //2 bits. LBS bits 4 and 5. Map below.
    Modulation Left Sync - 8 //1 bit. LSB bit 3. Map below.
    Modulation Left Active - 4 //Whether modulation is active for the channel. 1 bit. LSB bit 2.
    Time Scale List - 2 - 1 //2 bits. LSB bits 0 and 1. Map below.

Wave Color Mapping (binary/hex)
    00 (0x0) = Red
    01 (0x1) = Green
    10 (0xA) = Blue
    11 (0xB) = White 'legacy from initial design - ignore.

Wave Shape Mapping (binary/hex values)
    00 (0x0) = Sine wave - 0
    01 (0x1) = Square wave - 1
    10 (0xA) = Triangular wave - 2
    11 (0xB) = User definable (default is Sine wave) - 3 'legacy - ignore

Time Scale Mapping (binary/hex values)
    00 (0x0)=10min
    01 (0x1)=5min
    10 (0xA) =1min
    11 (0xB) =30sec

Time scale controls the increments for the time slider in a segment.

I hope this makes sense to you. If not, ask for clarification.

Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 07-08-2015 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Corrected binary designation. Added hex values.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

Thanx Scott, i will try it !
    Sven

Blog Entries

Default Re: The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

Hi Sven,
    I am wondering how your project is going? Manually decoding the Procyon file structure is pretty intense. Feel free to request info if needed. However, I understand that a lot of the fun is sometimes in solving the puzzle

The Procyon programs will send out to 2 channel glasses btw even alternate with the Proteus glasses I think (there might have been one revision of the glasses that didn't... it has been awhile since I tried this, so I could be fooling myself) In this case as long the session parameters are contained in a channel of interest then you could run the program as is, again I think so... can test if you want..

Or there is some menu commands that swap the color channels in the Editor.

Anyhow, a rambling message, but I don't want you to feel that you are totally on your own if you wish to learn more about Procyon programming.

Best,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 07-08-2015 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Don't have to type 'enhance' to see Swap Color Parameters.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

5. Default Re: The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

Hi Scott,

with your help the converter is working now. Just swapping colors from the menu would not work cause it has no effect on the color-source(s) in the sound-modulation section (my converter is doing this also). The problem are now the glasses itself. One channel is routed to the left glass and the other to the right. With some programs it works fine and with others not but the most of my favorite programs are doing well. I'm using now the rgb glasses for the more entertaining programs and the white glasses for the meditation- and night-shift programs. I really love the Procyon! My idea for an own editor is to use a midi-music-controller to controll the values of the Procyon in realtime, inluding shortcuts for saving or appending new segmens, the data-format is very similar. All i have to program is a mapper.

Thanx for your help!
    Best, Sven

p.s. i will comment the converter-script and then put it online in this forum. If it would be ok for you.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Hi Sven,
    I am wondering how your project is going? Manually decoding the Procyon file structure is pretty intense. Feel free to request info if needed. However, I understand that a lot of the fun is sometimes in solving the puzzle

The Procyon programs will send out to 2 channel glasses btw even alternate with the Proteus glasses I think (there might have been one revision of the glasses that didn't... it has been awhile since I tried this, so I could be fooling myself) In this case as long the session parameters are contained in a channel of interest then you could run the program as is, again I think so... can test if you want..

Or there is some menu commands that swap the color channels in the Editor. You might have to type the word 'enhance' in the blank area above the color channel text boxes. This is a weird thing in the Editor that shows more menu commands.

Anyhow, a rambling message, but I don't want you to feel that you are totally on your own if you wish to learn more about Procyon programming.

Best,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Hi Sven,
    That's great news. Absolutely put it online when you are ready.

I have written a MIDI mapper that at the moment is hardcoded to the Korg NanoKontrol. I never did finish MIDI learn which would expand it out to other controllers. Also, I didn't filter the incoming data stream much, so it could overload the Procyon with too many messages and cause a delay. But it has a color picker and such.

The realtime control of the Procyon with simple live parameters is very much underexploited.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you are working with it. To be honest, much of the time I exist in my own little realm of tech geekery with tools that I make that never see the light of day because they are not simple enough for many users.

The more people who can contribute and who we can bounce ideas off, the better.

Your approach to stimulation with a combination of RGB and white light is a wise one. I do the same thing.

Best,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mistaseven View Post
    The problem are now the glasses itself. One channel is routed to the left glass and the other to the right. With some programs it works fine and with others not but the most of my favorite programs are doing well.
    Right, I do remember that this is the case. It can be an advantage or a problem, depending on what one wants to do. What is one of the programs that doesn't work like you want? I could explore a solution more. Maybe creating a jumper wire on the glasses themselves, tying the channels together is the way to go. That is, if you do not want 'alternating' programs (those which control both eyes separately).

If you do want both options then maybe there is a way to add a switch for routing the signals. It is a hack... but hacking is fun!

Scott

Blog Entries

I decided to add a switch for the fun of it (and I had an extra white strip laying around). Works really well. I may pull the switch to the outside of the frames.

So, now when the switch is to the left then the Red and Green channels of the Procyon control each eye. When the switch is to the right, the Red controls both sides of the glasses, which flash in sync. Maybe not what you want as the Red has to be the primary channel now and control the sound as well. Still it was a small challenge and success.

White Ganzframes Mod.jpg

9. Default Re: The same value in 2 Procyon programsegements provide different results ?

Hi Scott,

i plan to code a mapper which is also filtering all redundant midi-data out of the stream. I programed a lot with the
    midi-format in my student years (which are far ago ) but i think i can remember the most things. First i have to install a
    python-midi environment and then i have to sniff the usb of my boss-midi-controller and of the procyon-editor.
    Will take some time, but its worth to try it, cause the procyon is a remarcable little machine, killing insomnia at night and
    making me fit for the day in the morning. Before i baught the procyon i tried for some weeks binaural beats, but the positive
    effect with additional lights are much more intensive. Now its time to create own programs. I think the intuitive way with a realtime-controller
    could be more my way

Your changes on the glasses are interesting. Before wroting the converter i thought to do a similar thing but had fear to destroy the glasses.
    I'm not so firm with hardware My converter converts as follows:

only blue -> red or green both eyes (choosen by random)
    red-blue -> red-green
    green-bue -> green-red
    only green -> green both
    only red -> red both

Nice weekend!
    Sven

Thread Information