Thread: Segments greater than 10 mins in Procyon Editor?

1. Default Segments greater than 10 mins in Procyon Editor?

Guys, is there any chance of an update that allows segments of greater than 10 minutes?

Is 10 minutes an arbitrary limitation or is it there for an important reason?
    If you want to ramp over a period greater than 10 minutes, it's a bit of a pain dividing that ramp into multiple segments.

Additionally, from what I understand, every segment takes up more memory and having to divide up one segment into a number of segments just because of a 10 minute limitation seems needlessly wasteful to me.

Regards
    Caleb

Default Re: Segments greater than 10 mins in Procyon Editor?

Hi, Caleb--thanks for your question. Our original prototype software had a maximum segment length of half an hour, but we reduced it to ten minutes for two reasons: 1. A longer segment length would reduce accuracy for short segments since we use the same number of bits to represent either scale, and 2. We didn't think anyone would use ten minute segments, since most sessions tend to run 10 to 60 minutes.

May I ask what sort of session you are writing, in this case? An extraordinarily long one?

--Robert

3. Default Re: Segments greater than 10 mins in Procyon Editor?

I'm not trying to write a particularly long session, just 60 minutes. However, it was going to have a segment of 30 mins in it.

I can always break it up into 3 segments of 10 minutes, but it takes more memory and when I'm doing things like ramping certain frequencies and phases over the 30 minute period, it's a bit of a pain working out where the exit/entry points need to be for each segment.

But if it's a technical constraint you're working to, then it's something I'll just have to live with. The obstacle is certainly not insurmountable.

Regards
    Caleb

Thread Information