Thread: What should session 000 sound like, exactly?

1. Default What should session 000 sound like, exactly?

Brief recap: I initially bought a Procyon, but discovered that its frames picked up too much noise interference when I used it with the aux cable. I returned the unit to Amazon, and bought a Kasina instead. The long story short is that I tried two Kasina models, returning them both either because of the condition they arrived in, or because of defective parts. As the condition of Kasina stock in the UK appears to have some issues at the moment, I decided to buy another Procyon for the time being. The alternative was to buy a Kasina from the US, but this (presumably) would have resulted in extra shipping cost, and an import duty charge, as well as a delay in customs. So anyway, the second Procyon unit has just arrived, and I just wondered something -

Has someone got a link to a high quality sound recording of what session 000 on the Procyon should sound like? I would really like to double-check that what I am listening to is exactly the intended sound. That would be really useful - thanks a lot if possible. When I listen to session 000, I can hear a kind of "very high pitch whine" throughout this track, in the right ear channel, and wondered if that was correct/intentional?

Incidentally, I almost posted the following message below, but just before pressing the Submit New Thread button, I found a solution to the problem. The solution to the following problem is to unplug the USB cable from the Procyon unit:

Unlike the first Procyon unit that I got, this second model's frames don't show any intererence at all when I use it with the aux cable. So far so good. However, the headphones pick up a constant buzzing sound whenever the aux cable is inserted in to it. This buzzing sound disappears as soon as I remove the aux cable. I get this buzzing sound even if no sound/music is being played on my PC.

I am absolutely certain this didn't happen with the first Procyon unit. I would have noticed this immediately. I've got two sound devices in my PC (a Creative card, and the mainboard's onboard), and both have the same effect. Conditon wise, this second unit, just like the first appears to be in good shape.

Is it possible for the Procyon to do the following in AS mode without any audio or visual interference issues: Connect an aux cable to it, and attach the other end of it to a PC that runs off the mains? Please note that I must have it working for a mains powered PC, as I'm not interested in using it with any kind of portable battery powered CD/MP3 unit.

As mentioned above I found a solution, but the thing is, I wonder if that solution would have fixed the interference problem with the frames that I was getting on the first Procyon unit that I tried? I think it might have, because I noticed that with the USB cable plugged in to this second unit, I was getting that same frames interference problem if I tried plugging in the aux cable in to a different sound card.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What should session 000 sound like, exactly?

You're getting a ground loop because of having both the USB and Audio cable connected to the computer.
    You should disconnect the USB cable when using the audio patch cord out your sound card, or use an isolation transformer on the audio line.
    It happens with some computers depending on how the soundcard and USB is wired.

More info here.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information