Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procyon Frustrations

1. Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

Well I got things working it seems with the Procyon Editor.
    Pretty awful installation instructions though.

Now I've got another computer to install it on. Should be much easier now that I know "the tricks".

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

I certainly would like to improve the instructions if you feel they are in error. Let me know what you think is wrong or missing in the instructions and we'll get them fixed up.

3. Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

Well it's kinda hard Andy as I didn't end up finding instructions that were consistent.

What I ended up doing is as follows:

- Don't connect Procyon to the computer at all for the moment
    - Download and install the Procyon Editor by running the setup.exe file
    - Within the installation of the editor is a zip file (can't remember the name) - unzip it into the installation directory (or anywhere else probably doesn't matter).
    - Within the files unzipped there is a file called setup.exe - run this file and it should install the driver
    - Connect the Procyon to the computer and turn it on. Your computer should give you "Found new hardware" and you should choose the - "Let Windows install automatically" - or whatever option it is and Windows should automatically be able to find the driver you installed in the previous step.

Now - when you run the Editor and you want it to communicate with Procyon you need to open a COM port. You can select one of a few COM ports that are available in a dialog. To test them out you can select and open each until you don't get a pop-up message saying that there are communication difficulties - for me it was COM4 that worked.

Then you should be able to go ahead.

Now I'm not saying my instructions are greatly written - I just banged them together in about 3 seconds. But I would have expected something at least as detailed as this (probably with screenshots) but with improved accuracy in one of the 3 places I found wishy washy installation advice.

Regards
    Caleb

I have the same USB problem as Nancybixby and I have found the solution. I hope this solution also works for her and others who have the same problem.
    The USB driver has to be reinstalled manually, not by using the setup program. How to do this:
    • In Windows XP, go to configuration. I have a Dutch version of Windows, so some terms I am using is a translation and may not be accurate.
    • Then go to maintenance (the sliced pie icon)
    • Go to system (the computer icon with a red V on screen). A complex dialog menu with multiple tabs should appear.
    • Click on the tab "hardware"
    • Click on the top first button. I think it's "devices" in English. Then you see a list of devices listed as small icons.
    • Look for Multi-port serial adapters. Click on the small plus. a "TUSB3410" should appear as a new line under the Multi-port serial adapters. Double click on it. A dialog menu should appear. There is a large button which says something like "reinstall driver". Click on this. Select the path where the driver is. In most cases this is "C:\Program Files\Procyon AVS". (Re-)install the driver.
    • Turn on the USB connected Procyon device.
    • Run the Procyon editor and set the COM port. First I only had COM1, which didn't work. After reinstalling the driver manually I also have COM3, which I choose.
    • After opening the COM port the editor does not return an error message and I am able to update the OS.

At first I was having trouble finding the USB driver. You guys should correct the manual which says to download the driver from mindplace support. You should make it clear that the driver is included in the editor and mention where it is to be found after installation of the editor. Then you also should describe the manual USB driver installation when the installation using setup.exe fails.

Greetings--

From internal testing, it appears that the driver does not install correctly if the user connects the Procyon prematurely. The instructions on page one of the Procyon Editor User's Guide do work correctly for us--if you followed those instructions and there was a problem, please let me know what OS you are running on your PC.

The manual was printed before we had integrated the driver and we made the assumption that users would refer to the above-mentioned Editor User's Guide during installation. We'll prepare an errata sheet insert for the manual (until we can reprint it) to prevent this sort of confusion in the future.

Sorry for the confusion!

Robert

Thread Information