Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procyon Frustrations

1. Unhappy Procyon Frustrations

I just got my Procyon today, and it has been rather disappointing so far. The programs stick, the lights are not bright at all, and the volume is low. I installed the 1_7_22 editor and it never told me to turn on the unit during setup. So, I turned it on after setup. My computer then wanted to install the drivers, but it couldn't find any to install. I decided to move forward anyway and tried to set the com port, then to open it. It could not communicate on any of the ports, actually freezing a couple of times. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling the editor. No difference. I tried different usb ports, and rebooting. Still no luck. I unplugged the usb connection from my printer. No dice. Now what should I do? Could the proteus editor be causing problems with the procyon editor?

I am sooooooooooooo disappointed! I have just wasted 3 hours!

Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

Hi, Nancy--I'm so sorry to read of your frustration in updating your Procyon! We tested the software installation on several PCs; text windows with ongoing instructions (like when to turn on your Procyon) should have appeared--I'm curious what operating system you are running, so we can discover why that didn't happen?

If you want to send your unit to us we'll update the code and send it back to you within 24 hours of receiving it.

3. Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

My operating system is XP.

Nancy

If sending my unit to you is the only way to update it, then I shall, but I can't see doing that each time I want to update my machine, or to create programs for it. Is there a way to determine, by looking in a sub-directory to see if the drivers were ever installed?

Blog Entries

Hi Nancy;

I'm not sure what went wrong with the install in your case. I just tested the install on a fresh machine, and I think the instructions may be a little misleading.

When you install the software, you don't connect the Procyon or power it up.

You run the software, and it pops up a window that asks you if you would like to install the USB drivers. At that point, you click "Yes" and install the drivers. Then you can plug in the Procyon and turn it on. You should get "new hardware found" windows and just let it proceed with the "automatic" settings.

So, with you Procyon not connected, try running the Procyon editor and see if you get the window that asks if you would like to install the drivers.

If not, to install them manually, you would go to "C:\Program Files\Procyon AVS\" and double click "TI_TUSB3410 Driver Installer.exe" (Assuming your Procyon software was installed to that folder)

After the USB driver is installed, you can connect and power up the Procyon and select the automatic install and theoretically you should be away to the races.

Device driver installs are always tricky, unfortunately. We're trying to make it more seamless but are at the mercy of the hardware manufacturers and Microsoft.

Let us know how you make out.

-Andy.

5. Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

Hello Andy!

I actually removed everything, then installed it again. I installed the drivers per your suggestion. Strangely, they looked like they were installed twice! Once, from the program within the directory, and the second time, directed by the editor. Per the install, it went well and the computer gave me a drivers installed message.

I went into the editor, and with Procyon turned off, I selected the com port, then I turned on the Procyon and opened the com port. Each time (I had the choice of com 1, com 3, or com 4 and I tried each one) I got the message that there was no communication with the port. Now the interesting thing is, when I turned on the Procyon, the computer reacted with the sound it makes when something is attached via USB, like my mp3 players. The computer knew it was there, but the editor could not communicate with it.

So this is where I am right now. Oh, and sometimes when I try to chose a port, the editor freezes with just com 1 showing, the rest of small com screen does not paint. Sometimes I can close the editor, sometimes I have to use the task manager, and sometimes my PC just reboots itself.

Thanks for you help,

Nancy

6. Unhappy Re: Procyon Frustrations

Are you looking for an answer? I was hoping you would have another idea for me to try...

Nancy

Blog Entries

Sorry, Nancy for not getting back to you!

You should plug the Procyon into the computer (USB) and turn it on, then run the software. The com port won't show up until the Procyon is plugged into the PC and turned on. It will be a higher com port number like 3 or 4.

Give that a try and let us know how you make out.

Sorry for all the hassle. I'm not sure why it's being so difficult!

-Andy.

8. Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

Hi Andy- I just received my procyon and had exactly the same problem with the drivers. There are several installers in the drivers folder and it is not clear which one is the right one. I clicked on the windows installer and it went through the installation routine (after I turned the unit on) (including the notices that the software was not registered). It said the drivers were installed, but when I closed that window my computer came up with the same message saying it found new hardware. I clicked on the message and then got another message that the hardware had not been correctly installed. Perhaps you should revise your documentation for winxp. Thanks.

9. Default Re: Procyon Frustrations

Having just purchased Procyon, I'm concerned that I'm going to have similar problems.

I would like to think that if I do that I won't have to return the unit or reinstall Windows to address them.

By the way - if I do have problems I'm assuming I'll still be able to use the included programs in the unit standalone. This only affects the transfer of programs to/from the computer via the editor program yes?

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if this will ease your mind, but hundreds of people have installed the Procyon software without issue. Unfortuntately, with Windows and the limitless possibilities of different hardware and software that can be part of a computer system, there is always the possibility of conflicts and issues. Simply part of the fun of PCs and Windows, unfortunately.

We will help you as much as possible to get the software installed if you have any troubles, but if you want to use the presets that come with the Procyon you do not need to install the software at all. The software is only for programming your own sessions.

Thread Information